Saturday, February 14, 2009

Artist Behind Grandma's Corner


Here's your chance to get to know the woman behind Grandma's Corner.



Grandma aka Trish


1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am 57 years old and still retain my zest for new things for me to do. Am limited at this point in my life as I am disabled because of neck and lower back problems and I suffer from tremors in both hands. I don't like the medical limitations in my life, but I will deal with them, with the Lord's help. I love to stay busy. I have been married to the most wonderful man for 37 years, we have been through so much together and each day our love grows. We have two grown daughters and 4 grandchildren, 3 girls and 1 boy. All of them are so special to us.


2. What are some of your interests ?

Anything about our American Indians. Wild birds and critters, flowers. I love the mountains in our area. They touch the spiritual/mystical part of my being. I love the bible. Reading is a big part of my life. If one can read, one can do anything. I love beading and going to select the beads. Calligraphy interests me. Is amazing how a simple saying can explode on paper with calligraphy. Wolves interest me. They are such caring creatures towards their young. Much can be learned from just watching God's creations. I enjoy painting some of the cutouts my hubby makes. I also enjoy my computer. I like to look for pictures online and the word games. I have and enjoy too many interests to list here.

3. How did your interest in using leather to make pouches come about and the smudging feathers ?

The pouches came about through my interests in Indians. I had some leather, saw some pictures and thought to myself, "I can do that!" Some of the shapes of the pouches is what the leather looked like before I started cutting. I made the first pouch and was hooked. Ideas sprang up so fast I had to write them down.
The smudging feathers came about because I wanted one or two from pictures I had seen. I was already smudging with sage. Adding the smudging feathers was just the next step.




4. Why do you like doing what you do ?

Yes, it is relaxing once the subject study is done. Then my mind shows me all sorts of things I could possibly do. Once I have decided what I want something to look like I begin the fun part of making, already thinking of the next project. My leather bags can be a young man's treasure for marbles, or for the young ladies, a jack's bag. The bags are as personal as what goes in them.

5. What are the challenges ?

I am always looking around and reading books as to what my next plan of attack will be. When I find something, my whole heart goes into it.

6. What is your most favorite piece that you have done and why?

Every piece is a favorite in some way or I wouldn't have spent the time on them. Sometimes a piece whispers to my soul and I can't let it loose. Then it ends up as a gift or hanging on one of my walls. There is magic in everything and having a little of it to one day pass on to my grandchildren is a goal I hope they will cherish, just because grandma made it.

Check out our store and look at all the handmade scroll saw woodwork done by Poppy. Check out Grandma's Corner for all handmade elk and deer hide leather pouches and handmade smudging feathers.


No comments:

Post a Comment